If we go a little bit further and turn to the right to Ulitsa Lenina, we will be in front of the old three-storeyed building where School No. 83 (Shkola No. 83) is located. It is one of the oldest buildings in Volgograd, constructed in 1875 by Tsaritsyn manufacturers, the Serebryakovs brothers. Originally, the building was two-storeyed and was used as a hotel. In 1908 a female gymnasium was opened there, which earned a great reputation very fast. However, not everyone could pay the tuition (55 rubles a year for the residents of Tsaritsyn and 75 rubles for girls from other cities). Therefore there were a lot of notices in newspapers about the collection of money for girls who wanted to study but didn't have enough money. After 1919 the gymnasium was closed. Since the 1930s, administrative institutions were located there and the third floor was constructed. Even at first sight the front of the building has prints of different periods of Volgograd, the third floor differs from the first two floors greatly. The building survived Worls War II and since 1961 a high school is located there.
There is a monument to Alexander Nevsky, installed in 2006, in front of the Volgograd Hotel and the New Experimental Theatre. The bronze monument, made by a Volgograd sculptor Sergey Shcherbakov, represents the full-length Grand Prince in his armour, holding the Colours in his right hand, where the Icon of Christ of Edessa is depictured. The height of the composition together with the Colours is 4.8 m (without the plinth), its weight is 1.5 tonnes. The monument to Alexander Nevsky was installed, because in 2006 Volgograd became the second city in Russia after Saint-Petersburg which patron is Alexander Nevsky. The prince was the first who spoke about the necessity to build a watch fortress at the Volga River. The monument to Alexander Nevsky is not the only place of interest in Volgograd dedicated to the Prince of Novgorod. In the early XX century the largest in the Lower Volga Region Alexander Nevsky Cathedral was built in the centre of Tsaritsyn. In 1932, in the period of persecution against the Church the Cathedral was blown up. Today only a small chapel in the name of Alexander Nevsky, located at the intersection of Alleya Geroyev and Prospect Lenina, reminds about the Cathedral. Today the construction activities are being done.
The New Experimental Theatre (Novyy eksperimentalnyy teatr), short NET, is right behind the monument to Alexander Nevsky. The Theatre delights its visitors with both amazing plays and magnificent architecture and interior. The building was constructed by menas of Tsaritsyn merchant and patron Alexander Repnikov; it was opened as the House of Science and Arts in 1915. During the October Revolution in 1917 the building was occupied by the revolutionists and during the Russian Civil War – by military hospital. In 1922, the music and drama theatre, which had drama, operetta and ballet groups, was housed in the building. Since1933 the theatre was renamed after Maxim Gorky in the memory of the author‘s visit to Stalingrad. In 1989 the history of the Drama Theatre came to ist end, the drama group was brocken up and the New Experimental Theatre started to operate.
There is a romantic composition the Fountain of Lovers (Fontan vlyublennykh), which was opened in 2005, in front of the staff entrance to the New Experimental Theatre in Ulitsa Mira. The bronze sculpture represents a nude guy and a nude girl holding their hands and soaring in the dance. The work by Florentine sculptor Silvio Bellucci is a gift to Volgograd by the former mayor of Volgograd Evgeny Ishchenko. The fountain is a favourite place of romantic dates and pilgrimage of married couples after the wedding ceremony. Volgograd citizens call this Romeo and Juliet.If we go a little bit further and turn to the right to Ulitsa Lenina, we will be in front of the old three-storeyed building where School No. 83 (Shkola No. 83) is located. It is one of the oldest buildings in Volgograd, constructed in 1875 by Tsaritsyn manufacturers, the Serebryakovs brothers. Originally, the building was two-storeyed and was used as a hotel. In 1908 a female gymnasium was opened there, which earned a great reputation very fast. However, not everyone could pay the tuition (55 rubles a year for the residents of Tsaritsyn and 75 rubles for girls from other cities). Therefore there were a lot of notices in newspapers about the collection of money for girls who wanted to study but didn't have enough money. After 1919 the gymnasium was closed. Since the 1930s, administrative institutions were located there and the third floor was constructed. Even at first sight the front of the building has prints of different periods of Volgograd, the third floor differs from the first two floors greatly. The building made it through the war in such a form, since 1961 a high school is located there.
There is a picturesque City Park next to the school, which is also called the City Garden (Gorodskoy sad) or Gorsad. It is one of the most favourite resting places for residents and visitors of Volgograd. Concerts, festivals, different events, for example, pre-Christmas Russian-German fairs are often held here. During the warm season you can ride a horse or a pony, sit on a bench, enjoying coolness and greenery. There are many different attractions for different age groups. The most popular attraction is the observation wheel 27.5 m high, from where you can admire the city panorama. The cafes in the park hospitably offer visitors to refresh themselves and have a good time.
The Monument to the Tram (Pamyatnik tramvayu) is located a little bit to the left of the Observation Wheel, which was opened in 2013 for the 100th anniversary of the tram traffic in Volgograd. The base for creating the monument was the car MC-4 released in 1932 and delivered to Volgograd from Saint-Petersburg. In 2010 the in- and outside view of the tram of the 1930s was completely renewed. The first tram line was opened in 1913. Tsaritsyn became the first and at that time the only city which had a tram. The uniqueness of Tsaritsyn was that the tram, released here, was manifactured domestically, while trams in many other cities were produced in Belgium. The first tram route in Tsaritsyn included 22 stops; its length was 10 km. The tram fare was 5 kopecks. The operation of the Tsaritsyn tram stopped only twice: during the Russian Civil War and World War II.
There is Garden of Love (Sad lyubvi) near the performance site of City Park. Undoubtedly, it is one of the most popular romantic places in Volgograd. It is located in the Park since 2005. The Garden was officially opened on July 8 on the Day of Saint Peter and Saint Fevronia – the so-called Russian Valentine's day. Garden of Love became one of the traditional places of newly married couples who visit it on the wedding day. There are certain traditions that every married couple tries to observe in the garden. The Bridge of Love (Mostik lyubvi) was built here for newly married couples, who hang locks with their names on the bridge as a sign of faithfulness and strength of their union.
Another interesting and unusual place in City Park is Japanese Garden (Yaponskiy sadik) where you can enjoy the eastern culture and experience exotic, walk along the bridges and admire greenery and stone structures. Cozy wooden summer-houses and benches allow visitors to relax. Newly married couples also like to come here to take photos, make a wish and tie a ribbon on the tree of happiness. In 2002 the Sakura Café - the first Japanese cuisine café in Volgograd was opened in honour of the Land of the Rising Sun.
The part of the park, which joins the New Experimental Theatre, is called Komsomolsky Garden (Komsomolskiy sad). The garden dates from 1906. There is Uryupinsk Mother of God Chapel in Komsomolsky Garden, where worship services are conducted on Sundays and holidays.
There is the Monument to Nikolay Gogol (Pamyatnik Nikolayu Gogolyu) (1809-1852) near the side exit of NET, facing Komsomolsky Garden. It was installed on voluntary donations of the residents in 1910 in celebration of the century since the birthday of the Great Russian writer. The height of the bronze bust is 1.3 m. Nowadays it is the oldest monument in Volgograd. Initially the bust was installed on Alexander Square (the Square of the Fallen Fighters today) in front of Alexander Nevsky Cathedral which was under construction. In the 1930s before the demolition of the cathedral the monument to Gogol was relocated to Komsomolsky Garden. During the Battle of Stalingrad the monument to Gogol was damaged; you can still see the traces of bullets and splinters of shells. When the fights were over, the monument to Gogol was found in the ruins and restored at the former place. In 1959, the damaged pedestal was replaced with a new one, made of pink polished granite.
In the centre of Volgograd you will see a unique building of the Fire Tower (Pozharnaya kalancha) The Guardian of Flame (Strazh plamennyy) survived. The tower, built in the late 19th century, is an architectural monument and looks like a bright fragment of old Tsaritsyn in the centre of Volgograd. The elegant building, constructed originally from red brick, with a decorated front attracts attention of a lot of people. Contrasted with massive multi-storeyed buildings, the fire tower looks like an elegant miniature, even though at that time it was a kind of a skyscraper. The building of the first fire station of Volgograd was constructed and put into service in 1897, as written on its front. At the opening the fire station consisted of seven fire depots, a stable, a barrack-dormitory, a library and a pawnshop. The tower became one of the first city objects which had central heating from coal air heaters, independent water supply and sewerage.
Along Ulitsa Kommunisticheskaya we can walk passing the building of the Fire Tower to the Central Railway Station Volgograd-1 (Tsentralnyy zheleznodorozhnyy vokzal) which is a city sight of Volgograd that combines the historical and modern image of the city. The first railway station in Volgograd was built in 1870, when the first railway was put into service. However, it was destroyed during the Battle of Stalingrad. In 1954, the current building of the railway station, which was declared an architectural monument in 1997, was constructed at the place of the ruined station.
There is a clock tower with a spire (67 m), crowned with a golden star, on the top of the modern three-storeyed building of the railway station. A wide granite staircase goes to the main entrance of the railway station. There are two multi-figured bas-reliefs, symbolising legendary heroes of the Russian Civil War and valiant defenders of Stalingrad, on both sides of the staircase. There is a sculptural composition above the entrance: the Motherland crowns the winners with a laurel wreath. The memorial plaque 'To the memory of the victims of the terrorist act at the railway station Volgograd on December 29, 2013' is installed at the main entrance. The walls inside the station are reveted with white marble; the paintings on the ceiling are dedicated to the feat of the defenders of the city and to the labour accomplishments of the civilian population. Nowadays the passenger traffic at the railway station is on average 3500 people per day. The Railway Station Volgograd-1 operates in 5 directions to the cities of the central part of Russia and the Southern Federal District and 10 directions to the neighbouring countries and beyond.
A great addition to Railway Station Square (Privokzalnaya ploshchad) is the Dancing Children Fountain (Fontan Tantsuyushchiye deti), one of the symbols of Volgograd. This composition illustrates a fragment of a fairy tale by Korney Chukovsky, a Soviet poet, translator and literary critic. Six children (three girls and three boys, the height of the sculptures is 180 centimetres) dance around the three-metre crocodile. There are six frogs along the perimeter of the fountain, from the mouth of which water spurts.
There was a similar composition in the city even during the pre-war time. However, in 1942 during the violent battles for the railway station the fountain was damaged heavily, it can be seen on many photos and videos about destroyed Stalingrad. Later during the post-war reconstruction of the city in 1950s the fountain was dismantled, as it was thought that it didn't represent any artistic value. In July, 2013, the reconstruction of the fountain began. The author of the copy of the sculptural composition is Alexander Burganov, the apprentice of Romuald Iodko – the creator of the original fountain. The iniator of building a modern fountain was the founder of the Night Wolves biker club Alexander Zaldostanov. The fountain was opened on August 23, 2013. The duplicate of the ruined fountain was also installed at the panorama Museum 'The Battle of Stalingrad'.
The Memorial Historical Museum (Memorialno-istoricheskiy muzey), one of the most attractive historic architectural buildings at the Railway Station Square, is located opposite the building of the Railway Station, at the intersection of Ulitsa Kommunisticheskaya and Ulitsa Gogolya. The unique collection, dedicated to the events of the Russian Civil War (1917-1920), is gathered in the former mansion of the Repnikov merchants, built in 1896. In the opinion of visitors, the main advantage of the museum is a maximum of facts, a minimum of interpretations of that ambiguous time.
If you go from the Museum down Ulitsa Gogolya, you reach the Square of the Fallen Fighters again. You can visit the Memory Museum (Muzey Pamyat) in the courtyard of the Intourist hotel and look at the unusual Monument to Plumber (Pamyatnik santekhniku) at the entrance of the Staryy Stalingrad Hotel.
Interesting facts: the Monument to Plumber (Pamyatnik santekhniku)
The Statue of the plumber is made in the modern urban sculpture style, which is very popular in Europe and in the recent time began to appear in the cities of Russia. The architectural composition of the monument includes the fountain in the rocks, the model of a missile, installed at the side, 5 big golden stars, located on the stone wall behind the fountain, and the sculpture of the plumber, wearing a coverall with an adjustable wrench in his pocket, who scrambled out of the manhole halfway. He raised his head and put his hands up joyfully. The author of this work of art is unknown. It is only known, that the monument was gifted to Volgograd citizens by a businessman for the City Day in 2009.